I made a little pizza tonight using a whole wheat flour tortilla as the base and was thinking about all the things you can make with them.
1. Mini pizzas - use tomato sauce, toppings like onion, thinly sliced zucchini, diced tomatoes and peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, mozarella cheese, parmesan cheese, fresh basil, ricotta cheese. You can use any combination of these and others you may have. Bake at 400 degrees until brown and cheese is melted about 10 minutes. I made one with sauce, onion, yellow zucchini, shaved parmesan and fresh basil. These make great appetizers, snacks, light lunch or dinner and could be paired with soup or salad for a heartier meal.
2. Quesadillas - Use leftover chicken, cheese, onion, peppers, salsa, spinach. I really like chicken with spinach and cheese served with salsa on the side. Put tortilla in non stick pan, fill half with fillings of choice, fold, cook on side, flip and cook on other side. Again, these would make great appetizers when cut into bite sized wedges, snacks and dinners paired with soup or salad.
3. Cut into wedges and bake on slightly oiled cookie sheet until brown. Serve with salsa, guacamole or humus.
4. For a dessert - rub lightly with oil or butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, bake until golden and cut into wedges.
5. Another sweet idea - spread lightly with nutella, fold and cook in pan, cut into wedges. You could also add sliced bananas or strawberries before folding.
6. Make wraps - you can spread lightly with cream cheese to make everything hold together better and then add sliced turkey, cheese, lettuce or used packaged slaw mix for great filler. Also great filled with chicken or tuna salad.
7. Sweet snack - Top a baked tortilla with canned apple filling or your own apple filling. Top with some shredded cheddar cheese and bake until filling is warm and cheese is melted. Would also be delicious topped with caramel sauce instead of cheddar cheese.
8. Pinwheels - spread with cream cheese, and then add chopped peppers and onions, roll up and then slice to make pinwheels. You can also add deli meats before rolling up.
9. Breakfast burrito - fill with scrambled egg, bacon or sausage and cheese.
10. Dumplings - I have not tried this but read about it on the Taste of Home blog. Cut in strips and add to dumpling broth. They say the plump up like regular dumplings.